PDA

View Full Version : Best Lions try ever?

Mario Belgium
20th December 2006, 07:20 PM
I was watching some DVD's today and that started this thread, who do you think scored the best, most important, most spectacular try for the Lions during the TV period? There are a bunch of candidates from what I've seen!
1. Phil Bennet in S.A. 74 Test match
2. John Bennet in S.A. 97 provincial match
3. Brian O'Driscoll in Australia 2001 1st test
4. Jason Robinson in Australia 2001 1st test
5. J.J. Williams in S.A 74 a couple of great tries
6. Gareth Thomas in N.Z. 2005 2nd Test

Give it a go !

fordy
20th December 2006, 07:52 PM
Most important and a pretty good try as well would have to be Dawson 1st test in 97.

Van der Westhaysen(sp) spent the rest of the series trying to prove he was the best running SH, SA backs hardly saw the ball again.

Mario Belgium
20th December 2006, 08:09 PM
Austin Healy's 2nd one against the Brumbies, especially the bit afterwards with Harisson! And the conversion of Dawson as well!

Zinny.
20th December 2006, 08:13 PM
How did the Lions Tour of 97 go? I was 16 at the time & was bumming out because we didnt have sky & never really heard much about it since then.

Lionsfan
20th December 2006, 08:41 PM

What was so great about that try? That the Lions scored first and everyone got excited about them tying the series? Or the way he scored it? it wasn't that good, he just saw a hole in our D and took it.

The Lions have scored waaaaay better tries than that one.

TaffinEastbourne2
20th December 2006, 08:42 PM
Gerald Davies versus some NZ outfit on that tour that we won.Beat about 4 autograph hunters before touchimg down.Sorry,I went all Zinny for a moment! :wink:

Mario Belgium
20th December 2006, 09:17 PM
What was so great about that try? That the Lions scored first and everyone got excited about them tying the series? Or the way he scored it? it wasn't that good, he just saw a hole in our D and took it.

The Lions have scored waaaaay better tries than that one.

It gave us hope, for a very short period of time, that's why I remember it I guess, it might not have been the best try but it gave us that bit of (false) hope. Good remark Lionsfan. :smile:

Hooker2
20th December 2006, 10:03 PM
Waltzing O Driscoll against the Wobblies..Pure Class :bounce: :bounce:

ScarletLion
20th December 2006, 11:59 PM
Barry John scored a cracker in 72 i think it was.

Though of the ones I've seen recently, none beats the BENTLEY try on the 97 tour. The opposition was a little ragged but it was still a great solo try.

Zinny.
21st December 2006, 06:20 AM
Waltzing O Driscoll against the Wobblies..Pure Class :bounce: :bounce:

As was Carters hand off on Henson, it was a try as in Henson tried to tackle him:applaud:

Adamson of Africa
21st December 2006, 10:18 AM
Mike Slemen in one of the provincial games on the 1980 tour.

Heather
21st December 2006, 11:51 AM
Zinny the thred is entitled - 'Best Lions try ever'. This means a try scored against ANY TEAM they played. It isn't ALL about the AB's you know!! :rolleyes:

Elzevir
21st December 2006, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't bother Heather, although I'd suggest you ban him.

Lionsfan
21st December 2006, 08:44 PM
I wouldn't bother Heather, although I'd suggest you ban him.

I don?t know about a ban but it?s certainly getting tedious now.

ScarletLion
21st December 2006, 11:44 PM
As was Carters hand off on Henson, it was a try as in Henson tried to tackle him:applaud:

I suggest you watch it again.

And come back and tell me who gets up, runs 60 metres and finally tackles Carter a few yards from the try line.

Why don't we just make this board All Blacks dash tour dot com or something.

forest777
22nd December 2006, 06:12 AM

I haven't seen a lot but this one does it for me. Or Underwood's try in the 2nd Test in '93.

ScarletLion
22nd December 2006, 06:51 AM
O'Driscoll one is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkkksj2dkXY

matt dawson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbkCw3v1MXA

j robinson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekBXTooO8AM

Lionsfan
22nd December 2006, 12:16 PM
I haven't seen a lot but this one does it for me. Or Underwood's try in the 2nd Test in '93.

You need to watch more rugby then :rolleyes:

That try was nothing. In 100 years of Lions rugby that doesn't register on the top 100.

leighton
23rd December 2006, 12:46 AM
Mike Slemen in one of the provincial games on the 1980 tour.

I thought you might help me come up with this one. Was that the famous move where the ball was kept alive for two minutes or so, and went end to end before the Lions scored in the last minute to win the game? It was a provincial match in SA. I had it in mind that Bruce Hay scored but he may have given the scoring pass.

Adamson of Africa
27th December 2006, 04:40 PM
I thought you might help me come up with this one. Was that the famous move where the ball was kept alive for two minutes or so, and went end to end before the Lions scored in the last minute to win the game? It was a provincial match in SA. I had it in mind that Bruce Hay scored but he may have given the scoring pass.

Certainly the same try as Bruce Hay was involved in the move at least twice but it was definately Slemen that scored it. As for the match itself, I don't recall it being a close finish but that doesn't mean it wasn't as the memory can play strange tricks. If it wasn't a tight game then it was against Eastern Province in PE and if it was the match you were talking about where the late score won the match for the Lions then it was against a South African Invitation XV at Potchefstoon.

chas chaston
31st December 2006, 05:42 PM
Rory Underwoods 1st Test V AB`s 1993. Last of the amateur tours. Only lost 18-20 had the chance ta win, but that`s rugby. Then came the pro`s tour....................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Mikey R
6th February 2007, 05:11 PM
Bentos in 1997 by far and away.

Elzevir
9th February 2007, 06:35 PM
Why don't we just make this board All Blacks dash tour dot com or something.
No thanks. I suggest we ban annoying uneducated NZers instead.