+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's going to Oz 2013?

Moderator Heather is a splendid one to behold Heather is a splendid one to behold Heather is a splendid one to behold Heather is a splendid one to behold Heather is a splendid one to behold Heather is a splendid one to behold Heather is a splendid one to behold Heather's Avatar

Default Who's going to Oz 2013?

I'll be there - I've decided to push the boat out and fly business class for this one.

More than likely we'll meet up with a tour from Robert Davies as they were really good in SA.
    Should I or shouldn't I?

Moderator Heather is a splendid one to behold Heather is a splendid one to behold Heather is a splendid one to behold Heather is a splendid one to behold Heather is a splendid one to behold Heather is a splendid one to behold Heather is a splendid one to behold Heather's Avatar

Default Re: Who's going to Oz 2013?

Just me then?
    Should I or shouldn't I?

I'm starting to look at options as to who to travel with.

Although I'm sure Gullivers will be too expensive I've just been onto their web site to look at prices but it has become really too hard to navigate - I can't even find the Lions tour on the web site!

I'm sure I won't be the only person either!
    Should I or shouldn't I?

Lions Legend Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny.'s Avatar

Colonialists Vs Convicts, I'll be flying over for it, the Brisbane test anyway. Can't stand Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinny. View Post
    Colonialists Vs Convicts, I'll be flying over for it, the Brisbane test anyway. Can't stand Sydney.
    How about buying an old lady a drink? ;-)
    Should I or shouldn't I?

Lions Legend Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    How about buying an old lady a drink? ;-)
    Only if you promise to be on your best behaviour!

Quote Originally Posted by Zinny. View Post
    Only if you promise to be on your best behaviour!

I always am! He he eh!
    Should I or shouldn't I?

Lion Cub Clarence is on a distinguished road

Hi folks,

I'll be there. Looking at all three tests. The dilemma is who to go with. Don't fancy going all that way and then struggling to source tickets. I see they reckon this could be the best supported Lions tour of all time!

Who are you looking at to travel with? Are the official appointed tour companies known yet?

Gullivers packages will be out in a couple of weeks apparently.

Hi Clarence and welcome!

I went with Gullivers to Oz in 2001 and then to NZ in 2005 and they were completely different!

The tour to Australia was absolutely fantastic and Gullivers really looked after us - the whole tour (3 tests) we stayed in some great accommodation and met some fantastic people. The final big pub in Sydney was a spectical to behold!

We had a fantasic tour leader for our group and out rugby personality Jeff Probyn and his wife Jenny were wonderful company and great fun.

We extended our trip and flew home via Samoa and Hawaii and had change out of 4K

Fast forward to NZ 2005 where the basic 3 tour package was about 4K and the accommodation was budget in several places and the hospitality was a shadow of what we experienced in Australia. I can remember going into the Big pub marque after the 1st test in Cristchurch absolutely dripping wet from head to toe (we were in the uncovered part of the ground) and finding about 2 large heaters where everyone was trying to get to. There had been a mix up with tickets for the drinks although to be honest most of us wanted to get back to the hotel (back packers!) to dry out.

I know I can't blame Gullivers for the weather but the way they dealt with it was awful.

Our tour guide was Sean Holly and the rugby personality was an ex Scotland player (name escapes me sorry) Both Sean and this guy were there just to enjoy themselves and we ended up waiting a few times for our 'personalily' to drag himsef out of bed to get on the coach so we could get going!

We didn't extend the trip as the initial cost was very high!

Last tour to South Africa 2009 we decided to go with a Welsh based company - Robert Davies and I couldn't fault them. The cost was just over 4k but it included everything and we had some superb tours included. I really couldn't fault the trip and have pre registered with them for the Australia trip.

It can be difficult to find the better tours but for me Gullivers have become just too big and I'm not sure they deliver what they used to.

If you have any specific questions ask away!
    Should I or shouldn't I?

Lion Cub Clarence is on a distinguished road

Heather,

Thanks for the reply really informative. As you probably guessed I have never done a trip of this magnitude before. I plan to go with some friends. We advance registered with Gullivers I suppose because it is so well known. I also did the infamous Italy v Wales game when we were robbed of a result, with Gullivers. That trip although easy to arrange went well even though it was expensive.

I like the idea of an organised tour as everything is done for you. I am also worried about tickets. Gullivers for example are authorized tour operators and tickets are guaranteed. Although I have read good things about Robert Davies I thought they were not an official tour operator and therefore tickets not guaranteed. Is this right?

As for the difference between Aus and NZ from what I can ascertain there seems to be a groundswell of opinion that Aus is better suited to deal with large numbers of fans and offers the better rugby tour. The infrastructure is better, more accommodation available and bigger stadiums even if the landscape is far more attractive.

Now as for Sean Holly, did he go as a comedian rather than a tour guide? As for his sleep pattern the Ospreys had the same problem!

I'd be interested to hear whether tickets are guaranteed with Robert Davies.

+ Reply to Thread