+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabodirectpro 11/12

Lions Legend Yrrab has a spectacular aura about them

Default Re: Rabodirectpro 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletLion View Post
    I agree.

Do you think a coach like Jonno Gibbes, Cheika etc would go to a Welsh region?

The answer is no isn't it. Every head coach at the Welsh regions is a former player in that region. I'm not sure about the Scottish equivalent.

I don't know if its about wales not attracting those kind of coaches, leinster is gibbes' first coaching job, chieka was also a bit of a unknown and schmidt was a different kind of punt. Leinster have taken chances and perhaps have had a bit of luck or they've guys who know what they're doing. i don't much about the money in coaching but i imagine your wage packet tends to reflect on the quality and quantity of your cv.
    Maybe the welsh regions just don't have the balls to give a guy like gibbes the job.

But its still all about the money. And those with the money are at the top of the league. Luke Fitzgerald for instance is on 260,000 Euros a year. For an average player who can't get in his national team!!
    That contract was probably made around the grand slam, lions tour, hc win etc, hes only worth 200000 to the irfu now.

Lions Legend Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny. is a name known to all Zinny.'s Avatar

Always wondered what happened to Jono Gibbes

WRU = Disgrace ScarletLion is a splendid one to behold ScarletLion is a splendid one to behold ScarletLion is a splendid one to behold ScarletLion is a splendid one to behold ScarletLion is a splendid one to behold ScarletLion is a splendid one to behold ScarletLion is a splendid one to behold ScarletLion is a splendid one to behold ScarletLion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yrrab View Post
    I don't know if its about wales not attracting those kind of coaches, leinster is gibbes' first coaching job, chieka was also a bit of a unknown and schmidt was a different kind of punt. Leinster have taken chances and perhaps have had a bit of luck or they've guys who know what they're doing. i don't much about the money in coaching but i imagine your wage packet tends to reflect on the quality and quantity of your cv.
    Maybe the welsh regions just don't have the balls to give a guy like gibbes the job.

That contract was probably made around the grand slam, lions tour, hc win etc, hes only worth 200000 to the irfu now.
    Just substitute Gibbes for Schmidt then - who's the head coach. He's be on a wage packet far in advance of anything anybody other than an Irish team could afford.

Who's coming in as Ulster head coach next season? I'm guessing it's someone with pedigree and on a tidy wedge. I.e - Not a former player?

Similarly Munster - is Foley going to move up a notch? Or will they spend some money ona enw head coach?

Fair do's to the Irish teams - they have a mdoel that suits them. They rake the money in and use it wisely. Just makes me wonder what the Welsh teams could achieve if we had the Union on our side.

WRU = Disgrace ScarletLion is a splendid one to behold ScarletLion is a splendid one to behold ScarletLion is a splendid one to behold ScarletLion is a splendid one to behold ScarletLion is a splendid one to behold ScarletLion is a splendid one to behold ScarletLion is a splendid one to behold ScarletLion is a splendid one to behold ScarletLion's Avatar

I see Tana Umaga has been linked with the Munster job.

Plus another Canterbury fella.

Wonder how much they'll get as a salary?

Just substitute Gibbes for Schmidt then - who's the head coach. He's be on a wage packet far in advance of anything anybody other than an Irish team could afford.

Who's coming in as Ulster head coach next season? I'm guessing it's someone with pedigree and on a tidy wedge. I.e - Not a former player?

Similarly Munster - is Foley going to move up a notch? Or will they spend some money ona enw head coach?

Fair do's to the Irish teams - they have a mdoel that suits them. They rake the money in and use it wisely. Just makes me wonder what the Welsh teams could achieve if we had the Union on our side.
    How can you say anything about what money schmidt is on? The way i see it is that leinster wouldn't have had to offer him anything too lucrative since they were ones taking the risk. Leinster was schmidt's chance to prove he was a head coach before that he was only a number 2. He might be on a bit more now though i don't know how these contracts work but it seems logical to me he'd have had something of a pay rise based on success.

Does Mark Anscombe mean anything to you? His record doesn't seem to scream pedigree anyway.

Foley will probably get the job at munster.
    I don't know anything about the caterbury fella but i can't imagine Umaga would be pulling in a big salary if he gets the job, whatever he was as a player hes proven very little as a coach.

I'll just put it as simply as I can then:

-Do you think the Welsh regions can attaract the same type of coach as the Irish regions can?
    -If they can, why do you think they aren't?

I'll just put it as simply as I can then:

-Do you think the Welsh regions can attaract the same type of coach as the Irish regions can?
    -If they can, why do you think they aren't?
    I've already answered this, i don't think the welsh regions have the balls to go out on a limb with someone like chieka or gibbes or maybe its because they feel they're better than an unknown and want someone who they think can have an imminent impact.

Look at the blues now, they're after someone "who has had previous experience in this role and obviously an excellent understanding of Welsh rugby." Chekia wouldn't have fit that bill, neither would schmidt.

Maybe its because the welsh regions need to justify their selection more, the politics could be getting the way.
    I don't think the likes of gibbes, cheika and schmidt would go near any of the welsh regions now but thats because they've made their reputation but prior to lenister i think anyone of them would have jumped at a good job at one of the top welsh regions.

I think its the other way around, the welsh regions aren't interested in their ilk, too interested in guys with top experience or a deep connection to wales or club such as ex-players as you said.
    But then again they're not necessarily bad, hes not exactly gotten a fair deal but ulster decided to get back on their feet they needed a guy with ulster connections and mclaughlin has obviously been successful but you should be picking your coaches based on what you need.

That i think is the secret to leinsters success, leinster had good players but were a bit poofy they needed a hard edge so they got cheika, then they needed someone who could get their stagnant backline going and schmidt fit the bill, same with ulster, they needed some pride and respect in the club mclaughlin could do that job, perhaps this is why they've dropped him. Looking for that next step, i mean do you think leinster would be as good as they are now if cheika had decided to stay on?
    The welsh regions need guys with a greater specialty, a few years ago ospreys could have done with a cheika figure for example. Top experience and knowledge of welsh rugby sounds more like a political motivation than an attempt to find the right man for the job.
    Last edited by Yrrab; 18th April 2012 at 12:41 PM.

It's because they can only afford someone with knowledge of Welsh rugby.

Phil Davies
    Kinglsey Jones
    etc

If they had money they'd go for Dean Ryan or Ewen Mackenzie.

But that haven't so they won't. They may surprise me but I doubt it.

The irish teams don't go for the likes of ryan or mackenzie and you say they probably could afford them.

The welsh regions need to go after guys who can make their reputation at the ospreys or the blues, etc.

As an example of :

1) how the WRU takes the piss out of it's own regions.
    2) how the elague is a joke, especially in world cup year.

Here are some stats on Wales players and the amount of league games they've been involved in this year:

George North - 6 league games
    Rhys Priestland - 4 league games
    Scott Williams - 6 league games (not even a Wales squad regular)

+ Reply to Thread